Spanish and Latin Guitar
31 March 2015
Classical Guitarist Bernard Catania will be giving a concert at St. Francis Oratory in Valletta at 12:30pm. He will be performing captivating guitar music, a wide-ranging repertoire that covers the, Spanish, Latin-American Guitar repertoire. He will be performing works by Isaac Albeniz, Francisco Tarrega, Enrique Granados and traditional Spanish music, amongst others.
The concert will be held at the Oratory of St. Francis, in Republic Street, Valletta. The baroque Oratory was originally the friars refectory. Over the years, it had been transformed into an oratory; hence it is beautifully adorned by magnificent baroque paintings, an elaborate gilded altarpiece and monks benches. The oratory is usually closed to the public and the lunchtime concerts are a wonderful way to visit and enjoy the beautiful chapel. Presently it is hosting weekly music recitals every Tuesday, showcasing some of the best musicians found on the island.
The events are also fund raising events for the Franciscan Church, which is undergoing restoration. Tickets for the lunchtime concerts, costing 8 euro, can be obtained from the venue itself half an hour before the concert begins. For more details phone 7968 0952 or email: baroccomalta@gmail.
1. Malaguena - Anonymous (19th C.)
2. Spanish Ballad (Romanza) Anonymous (19th C.)
3. Asturias (Leyenda) - Isaac Albeniz (1860-1909)
4. Danza Espanola no. 5 (Andaluza) - Enrique Granados (1867-1916)
5. Recuerdos de la Alhambra - Francisco Tarrega (1852-1909)
6. El Noy De La Mar - Miguel Llobet (1878-1938)
7. El Testament D'Amelia- Miguel Llobet (1878-1938)
8. Sons De Carrilhoes - Joao Pernambuco (1883-1947)
9. Julia Florida - Augustin Barrios (1885-1944)
10. Un Dia De Noviembre - Leo Brouwer (b. 1939)
11. Joropo (Suite Del Recuerdo) - Jose Luis Merlin (b. 1952)